This is an action usually filed in Probate Court allowing an individual the opportunity to legally change his or her name from that received at birth, marriage or adoption. Publication is required. The request will not be granted if it is found to be based on fraudulent or other illegal purposes. A name change may also be obtained through the Domestic Relations Court in conjunction with a pending dissolution or divorce.